Interested in what COPRA and others have to say about NASPAA Accreditation, student learning outcomes, and assessment? Browse the selections below for additional resources!
COPRA White Papers
- NASPAA Competencies Task Force Analysis of Standard 5 in 2011 Self-Studies for Accreditation Matching Operations with the Mission: Student Learning February, 2012
- Expectations for Student Learning Outcomes Assessment for NASPAA-COPRA Accreditation October, 2011
- White Paper on Academically and Professionally Qualified Faculty August, 2011
- The Uniqueness of NASPAA-Accredited Programs: The Role of Public Service in Accreditation, Jeff Raffel (University of Delaware), September, 2007
- International Accreditation Issues, Laurel McFarland (NASPAA), September, 2007
- Competencies for Public Service Education, Marvin Mandell (University of Maryland, Baltimore County) and Michelle Piskulich (Oakland University), October, 2007
JPAE Articles (recent)
- Symposium: 2009 Standards Competencies Assessment
- Piskulich, Michelle and Barbara Peat. (Summer 2014). Assessment of Universal Competencies Under the 2009 Standards. The Journal of Public Affairs Education, 20 (3). Retrieved from http://www.naspaa.org/JPAEMessenger/Article/VOL20-3/02_FromTheGuestEditors.pdf.
- Rubaii, Nadia and Crystal Calarusse. (Summer 2014). Preparing Public Service Professionals for a Diverse and Changing Workforce and Citizenry: Evaluating the Progress of NASPAA Programs in Competency Assessment. The Journal of Public Affairs Education, 20 (3). Retrieved from http://www.naspaa.org/JPAEMessenger/Article/VOL20-3/03_Rubaii_Calarusse.pdf.
- Meek, Jack W. and Marcia L. Godwin. (Summer 2014). Iterative Learning: Programmatic Lessons from a Course Embedded Approach to Program Mission Assessment. The Journal of Public Affairs Education, 20 (3). Retrieved from http://www.naspaa.org/JPAEMessenger/Article/VOL20-3/04_Meek_Godwin.pdf.
- Mayhew, Fred, Nicholas Swartz, and Jennifer A. Taylor. (Summer 2014). Implementing a Multi-method Competency Model: Experiences of the MPA Program
at James Madison University. The Journal of Public Affairs Education, 20 (3). Retrieved from http://www.naspaa.org/JPAEMessenger/Article/VOL20-3/05_Mayhew_Swartz_Taylor.pdf.
- Riss, Jill Jamison and Sherril B. Gelmon. (Summer 2014). Development, Implementation, and Assessment of a Competency Model for a Graduate Public Affairs Program in Health Administration. The Journal of Public Affairs Education, 20 (3). Retrieved from http://www.naspaa.org/JPAEMessenger/Article/VOL20-3/06_Rissi_Gelmon.pdf.
- Diaz, Rose. (Summer 2014). Assessing Professional Competencies: The “Painstaking” Implementation Phase. The Journal of Public Affairs Education, 20 (3). Retrieved from http://www.naspaa.org/JPAEMessenger/Article/VOL20-3/07_Diaz.pdf.
- Figueroa, Carlos. (Winter 2014). Developing Practical/Analytical Skills Through Mindful Classroom Simulations for “Doing” Leadership. The Journal of Public Affairs Education, 20 (1). Retrieved from http://www.naspaa.org/JPAEMessenger/Article/VOL20-1/11_Figueroa.pdf.
- Henderson, Mark and Carol Chetkovich. (Spring 2014). Sectors and Skills: Career Trajectories and Training Needs of MPP Students. The Journal of Public Affairs Education, 20 (2). Retrieved from http://www.naspaa.org/JPAEMessenger/Article/VOL20-2/06Henderson-Chetkovich.pdf.
- Powell, David, Michelle Saint-Germain, and Linda-Marie Sundstrom. (Spring 2014). Using a Capstone Case Study to Assess Student Learning on NASPAA Competencies. The Journal of Public Affairs Education, 20 (2). Retrieved from http://www.naspaa.org/JPAEMessenger/Article/VOL20-2/03Powell-Saint-Germain-Sundstrom.pdf
- Rivenbark, William C. and Willow S. Jacobson. (Spring 2014). Three Principles of Competency-Based Learning: Mission, Mission, Mission. The Journal of Public Affairs Education, 20 (2). Retrieved from http://www.naspaa.org/JPAEMessenger/Article/VOL20-2/05Rivenbark-Jacobson.pdf
- Sprague, Mary and R. Cameron Percy. (Winter 2014). The Immediate and Long-Term Impact of Practicum Experiences on Students. The Journal of Public Affairs Education, 20 (1). Retrieved from http://www.naspaa.org/JPAEMessenger/Article/VOL20-1/10_Sprague%20Percy.pdf
- Sabharwal, Megna and Iris Geva-May. (Fall 2013). Advancing Underrepresented Populations in the Public Sector: Approaches and Practices in the Instructional Pipeline. The Journal of Public Affairs Education, 19 (4). Retrieved from http://www.naspaa.org/JPAEMessenger/Article/VOL19-4/06_Sabharwal%20May.pdf
- Shea, Jennifer and Amy Farah Weiss. (Fall 2013). From Traditional to Client-Based Nonprofit Management Course Design: Reflections on a Recent Course Conversion. The Journal of Public Affairs Education, 19 (4). Retrieved from http://www.naspaa.org/JPAEMessenger/Article/VOL19-4/09_Shea%20Weiss.pdf
Conference Presentations: NASPAA Annual Conference, Accreditation Institute Presentations, and Peer Conferences
for Accreditation Institute materials since 2014, please refer directly to the AI page!
- Employer Engagement in Accreditation, Crystal Calarusse (CHEA 2018)
- Cultural Competency and NASPAA Accreditation, Crystal Calarusse (ASPA 2017)
- Writing a Diversity Plan: A workshop on crafting a thoughtful, measureable, and effective plan, Tia Gaynor, Mohamad Alkadry, Brandi Blesset, Bridgette Cam (NASPAA 2017)
- Competency Assessment in Public Administration Accreditation: Value and Sustainability, Abraham Benavides, Rex Facer, Crystal Calarusse, Heather Gregory (ASPA 2014)
- Introduction to Student Learning Assessment, handout (NASPAA 2013)
- NASPAA Universal Required Competencies, handout (NASPAA 2013)
- DiverseLab: Teaching to the Standards of Public Administration, RaJade Berry-James (NASPAA 2013)
- Suffolk University Poster Session (NASPAA 2013)
- University of New Orleans Poster Session (NASPAA 2013)
- Binghamton University Working Documents (NASPAA 2013)
- Auburn University Poster Session (NASPAA 2012)
- Delaware University Poster Session (NASPAA 2012)
- The Ohio State University Poster Session (NASPAA 2012)
- Graduate Capstone Courses: Components, Uses, and Assessment-Survey Results, Anand Desai and Barbara Peat
- Competency Assessment in Public Administration Accreditation, ASPA Annual Conference, 2014
- Standard 5: Competencies, NASPAA Accreditation Institute, 2010
- Standard 5: Competencies and Student Learning. NASPAA Accreditation Institute, Self Study Workshop Part II Saturday, October 17, 2009. Michelle Saint-Germain, California State University, Long Beach and Nadia Rubaii-Barrett, Binghamton University
- Using the Capstone Course to Generate Student Learning Outcomes. Fall 2006 Conference. Thomas E. Castleberry, Patricia M. Shields, and Hassan Tajalli
Thoughts on Quality from the Standards 2009 Revision Process
- NASPAA Value of Accreditation Task Force, Findings and Recommendations, October 2014
- NASPAA Standards 2009 Plenary Power Point (Includes an overview of the process and a sample of some of the proposed Guiding Principles), Jeff Raffel, University of Delaware, Chair of the NASPAA Standards 2009 Steering Committee
- NASPAA Standards 2009 Guiding Principles
- Philosophy of NASPAA Accreditation (Preamble to the 2009 Guiding Principles), Jeff Raffel (University of Delaware), Steve Maser (Willamette University) and Laurel McFarland (NASPAA)
- “Transforming Public Affairs Education through Accreditation” Third Transatlantic Dialogue Conference: Leading the Future of the Public Sector, University of Delaware, Newark, Del., June 1, 2007, Crystal Calarusse (NASPAA) and Jeff Raffel (University of Delaware)
- NASPAA’s Five Faculty Rule: A Discussion Paper, Jim Fatula (SUNY Brockport)
- “Adding Value In the Public Interest“, Kathryn E. Newcomer (GWU) and Heather Allen (GWU)
- MPA Models of Assessment (2009), Michelle Saint-Germain (Standards Committee Member)
- City Management Competencies, identified by ICMA-NASPAA Working Group
- Program Assessment and Review, Michelle Saint-Germain, California State University, Long Beach
- Program-Based Assessment: Online Handbook, University of Massachusetts, Amherst
- Course-Based Assessment: Online Handbook, University of Massachusetts, Amherst
- Association of American Colleges and Universities Assessment Models
- Association of American Colleges and Universities Assessment Resources
- ABET Faculty Workshop on Assessing Program Outcomes, Presented by Gloria Rogers, PH. D Associate Executive Director, Professional Services ABET Inc. Presented, October 28, 2008
- AACSB Assurance of Learning Standards: An Interpretation, An AACSB White Paper issued by: AACSB International Accreditation Coordinating Committee, AACSB International Accreditation Quality Committee, 20 November 2007
- Aristigueta, Maria, and Kimberly M. B. Gomes. 2006. “Assessing Performance in NASPAA Graduate Programs.” Journal of Public Affairs Education, 12(1):1–18.
- Castleberry, Thomas E., “Student Learning Outcome Assessment within the Texas State University MPA Program” (2006). Applied Research Projects. Paper 182. http://ecommons.txstate.edu/arp/182
- Dalehite, Esteban G. 2008. “Transforming Grades into Meaningful MPA Program Outcomes: Lessons from Benchmarking Learning Objectives in the Public Budgeting and Finance Course.” Journal of Public Affairs Education, 14(3):413–426
- Durant, Robert F. 2002. “Toward becoming a Learning Organization: Outcomes Assessment, NASPAA Accreditation, and Mission-Based Capstone Courses.” Journal of Public Affairs Education, 8(3):193-208
- Fitzpatrick, Jody L. and Katrina Miller-Stevens. 2009. “A Case Study of Measuring Outcomes in an MPA Program” Journal of Public Affairs Education, 15(1): 17-31
- Kapucu, Naim. 2011. “Developing Competency-Based Emergency Management Degree Programs in Public Affairs and Administration.” Journal of Public Affairs Education, 17(4): 501–521
- Powell, David C. 2009. “How Do We Know What They Know? Evaluating Student-Learning Outcomes in an MPA Program.” Journal of Public Affairs Education, 15(3): 269–287
- Roberts, Gary E., and Tom Pavlak. 2002a. “The Design and Implementation of an Integrated Values And Competency-based MPA Core Curriculum.” Journal of Public Affairs Education, 8(2):115–129
- Williams, David G. 2002. “Seeking the Holy Grail: Assessing Outcomes of MPA Programs.” Journal of Public Affairs Education, 8(1):45–56
- The Logic of Presenting Student Learning Outcomes in the Self Study, 2003